Olemme päivittäneet yhdistyksen verkkopalvelun tietosuojaselosteen vastaamaan EU:n tietosuoja-asetuksen (GDPR) vaatimuksia.

Tietosuojaselosteessa kerromme, mitä henkilötietoja keräämme yhdistyksen verkkopalvelun käyttäjistä, miten käytämme niitä ja miten huolehdimme niiden suojaamisesta.

Seloste on luettavissa täällä

Olemme myös päivittäneet yhdistyksen verkkosivujen käyttöehdot. Verkkosivuston käyttö edellyttää, että käyttäjä sitoutuu noudattamaan näitä käyttöehtoja. Käyttöehdot muodostavat sitovan sopimuksen sinun ja yhdistyksen välillä.

Tutustu huolellisesti näihin käyttöehtoihin. Käyttämällä verkkosivustoa vahvistat lukeneesi, ymmärtäneesi ja hyväksyneesi käyttöehdot sekä antaneesi suostumuksesi käyttöehdoissa kuvattuun henkilötietojen käsittelyyn.

Käyttöehdot ovat luettavissa täällä

Miniarvosteluja leffoista

edited January 1970 in Yleinen keskustelu
Nyykkärin pyynnöstä jokaisen täälläkin miniarvostelut joita laitoin Pahuuden Kirjaan syksyn festarileffoista. Tässä eka osa, R&A 2013:

"Austenland" ****, hilarious comedy. Austenland, a holiday with class (pun intended). Along with "Kink" explored the thematic to the relationship of reality to fantasy and the real to fake, rules and limits, and the effect of money on consent.

"Aya of Yop City" ****, beautifully drawn (especially the backgrounds) animation.

"Barfi" ****+, drama, love triangles, crime mystery and physical comedy. An Indian movie, but more European than the regular Bollywood fare. Brought tears to my eyes, and not only from laughing too much!

"Bastards" **-, too unfocused, too confusing and without motivating the characters in any real way. "Upstream Color" did this "show, don't explain"-style so much better.

"The Berlin File" ***, modern Korean espionage action. Enough players and betrayals to keep the story convoluted, plenty of action, too many fireball explosions.

"Blue Ruin" ***+, the most anti-heroic roaring rampage of revenge I've seen. Gritty, muddy and muddled.

"Cheap Thrills" ***, a fine dark comedy satirizing the reality TV mentality and the competitive society.

"Circles" ***-, how one little thing leads to many big ones, and how the paths started by one incident cross again. The ghosts of the War in the Balkans haunt a new generation, and every deed (good and bad) has repercussions.

"Concussion" ***, another film about sex and choices, this time in the US. Thinking of the film a bit later, I liked how natural the lesbian angle was. And also the reaction to asexuality. Neither was used as any kind of special effect or as the center of the storytelling, it was just the way the characters were.

"Dirty Wars" ***-, a personal documentary about the JSOC and how it's used to perpetuate the War on Terror. Most of my friends should already be familiar with the subject, but this is for those who have missed it.

"Dragon Girls" ***, the director has managed to get the girls to open up about their emotions and gets so many definitions to the concept of "kung fu".

"Ernest & Celestine" ****, very finely made watercolor animation for the whole family (not just the kids) about the forbidden friendship between a mouse and a bear. Old-fashioned art and scenery, excellent use of the media (line drawings, watercolor, partial and minimalist drawings). Funny and touching.

"Evangelion: 3.0 - You Can (Not) Redo", ***+, more of the same, but even better looking. This is something to watch twice, once on the big screen, and once when watching the whole film series in one sitting.

"Fatal" ***, this Korean cheapo could have also shown better motivations on some of the characters, but for the rest it was done well. The acting and the storytelling was good, and the urban scenery did remind of "Pieta".

"A Field in England" ****-, nice black and white cinematography and a story concentrating on only a few characters. But what characters! Their personalities where well defined even though somewhat archetypical. The story wasn't easy to follow, partially because of the dialogue and partially because of all the weirdness. It certainly requires a second viewing. What I didn't like were the visual camera effects..

"The Geographer Drank His Globe Away" ***+, the Geographer follows his own philosophy while navigating the relationship tangle around him at the "asshole of the world".

"The Grandmaster" *****-, a magnificent epic on the life of Ip Man. And life's not just kung fu.

"Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai" ****, an example of Miikes' transition into a grandmaster, making subtle historical tragedy. The question of honor reminds of gangster movies too. Unnecessarily in 3D, only the snow flakes looked like they benefited from the 3rd dimension. Excellent soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto.

"Heli" ***-, a low-key film set in the Mexican drug wars. Also dealing with the common theme of this year's festivals, repercussions.

"A Hijacking" ***, psychological thriller about the hijacking of a Norwegian ship by Somali pirates. I can just imagine how different the Hollywood version would be.

"Intimate Parts" ***+, a dark comedy about sex, perversion and morality in contemporary Russia.

"Jahti aka. Jagten", ***, a good Danish drama. In my mind I tied it's themes to The Act of Killing; on rationalizing your deeds, covering evil with "morality".

"Kink" ***+, a documentary with both talking heads and explicit imagery, continuing on this year's theme of taking responsibility, this time in the context of BDSM.

"Kinshasa Kids" **+, the premisse sounded more interesting than the actual film. It suffered from incoherency and should have had more music numbers and decided whether it was fiction or not.

"Menneisyys aka. Le Passe aka. The Past" ****+, very heavy and serious spiritual sequel to "A Separation". Excellent acting, especially from the child actors.

"Milius" ****-, very funny documentary about a larger than life person. People telling stories about the storyteller, so you're never sure on the veracity of them all.

"No" ***-, visually well placed in the era, chronicling the power modern advertising in the service of good cause.

"No Good Reason" ***+, a great documentary about the life and works of Ralph Steadman. Also starring Johnny Depp in his "civilian" garb.

"Omar", ***+, more stories about choices, motives and the responsibility of ones actions, this time set on the West Bank.

"Pieta" ****-, another Kim Ki Duk film consisting of sadism, psychological torture, messed up people and some cruelty to animals.

"Pioneer - sukellus meren syvyyteen" ***+, a historical Norwegian thriller featuring very cool underwater scenes filmed by Finnish divers and a nice soundtrack by Air.

"Rurouni Kenshin" ***, cool action, exaggerated characters in a story of redemption in the dawn of a new era.

"Samsara" *****, magnificent cinematography, interesting people and places. Like Baraka without any kind of explanations. The only clues are in the credits.

"Smash and Grab: The Story of the Pink Panthers" ****+, very interesting documentary about the largest international gang of diamond robbers, their methods, who they are and where are they coming from.

"Stories We Tell" ***, a very personal movie about family and the subjectivity of reality. How everyone's version is different even if they share the same story.

"The Suicide Shop (3D)" ****-, another French animation looking like it was made with watercolors, but this time in 3D. In this case too, more is not better. The film was funnier while it remained macabre.

"Trance" ***-, a caper movie using a piece of art as the macguffin and hypnosis as the trick. More psychological than most, but I'm not sure I believed in it.

"Tunnottomat aka. Insensibles" ***-, a Spanish horror film where the worst horror was the reality of the civil war and the post-war era. Some inspiring scenes and a bit of claustrophobia too.

"Upstream Color" ****-, a dreamlike story that was more trance-like than "Trance". Very subtle and did not even try to explain what was going on. Still it was possible to follow the plot.

"Wadjda" ****-, a Saudi girl really wants to have a bike. Everyone seems to have caught the language of capitalism..

"Wolf Children" ****, how to raise special children between two worlds. Magnificent nature scenes!

Lisäksi näin myös lyhäreitä:

"Ahneen palkka" **-
"Ajatuksia kuolevaisuudesta" ****+
"Curiosa" ****
"Electric Soul" ****
"Finnish Fable" ***-
"Habemus Papam?" ***+, short and to the point.
"Huulilla" **
"Kenkähullu" ****
"Kontrolli" ***
"Jamppamania" **
"Last Song" ***
"Mainoskatko" ****-
"Rinnastus" **+
"Safari Heat" ****+
"Sukkavartaankatu 8" ***-
"Verhon takaa" ***+
"Åboa Whisper" **+

Comments

• Espoo Cine 2013:

"Baraka" ****+, great movie poetry, superb soundtrack

"The Best Offer" ***-, Great acting, interesting story, but too conventional in some ways. I may still have to rewatch it.

"Blue Jasmine" ****, another fine film about confused people and nervous breakdowns from Woody Allen, this time mostly set in the West Coast.

"Byzantium" **, nothing new in vampire flicks, better than "Wir sind die Nacht" (aka. We Are The Night), but nothing compared to "Thirst" (aka. Bakjwi). For a short moment the eyes of one of them made me believe she was over 200 years old, but then it passed.

"Camille Rewinds" ***, nice youth movie with middle-aged actors, 80s, and thoughts about love, time and destiny.

"Comrade Kim Goes Flying" ***, a colorful faery tale comedy and love story framed as a sports movie about acrobatics and the victory of the collective working class.

"The Dinosaur Project" **-, bad plotting, bad writing, bad ideas, too much shaky and glitchy digicam.. Still, I got some ideas on how to use the tropes in some games. Pulp anyone?

"Eraserhead" with live soundtrack by Cercueil ****, less surreal than I remembered, nice effects, the performance by Cercueil fit it well and improved the sum considerably.

"Evil" ***-, a non-irritating amateur paranormal investigation with a lot better handled "found" video material than in the "Dinosaur Project". Less camera shaking, jump scares, glitches and more believable. Also fun and inspiring.

"Fatal Assistance" ***, Haiti Reconstruction - The Movie, shows the disaster that results when good intentions, politics, economics, PR, ex-presidents and ex-dictators, lack of coordination, colonialist attitudes and too many players mix.

"For Elise" **+, Terror in the nursery, pretty typical contemporary Spanish horror fare.

"Harmony Lessons" ****+, probably the second best film about school bullying that I've seen.

"Imagine" ****, an interesting peek into the umwelt of the blind, and a rebellious teacher.

"Last Days" **+, a different take on post apocalyptic world, plenty of inspiration even though the plotting was predictable. The visions at the end were visually great but at an odds with the rest of the film.

"The Morning Star" *+, boring, un-dramatic drama, poor symbolism. Some interesting characters. Iggy Pop is brilliant in his silent role, but doesn't really bring anything to the story.

"My Sweet Pepper Land" ***+, olisi voinut olla vapaan Kurdistanin rajaseudulle sijoittuva länkkäri, mutta oli onneksi enemmänkin.

"Paradise: Faith" **+, religious strife turns domestic.

"Paradise: Hope" ***, apparently lightest of the trilogy. Comical camp life and teenage love.

"Salvo"  **+, another film about blindness. Should have concentrated more in the blind girls (Rita) than the silent gangster (Salvo). I liked the way the fight scenes were done, and I dont belive they could have done them that way in Hollywood. Mostly bleak realism.

"Thale" ****, new weird from Norway. Less comical and better than "Troll Hunter".

"Two Lives" ***-, this story about family and secrets would have been better if the Serious Drama was turned down a bit.

"When the Lights Went Out" ***-, interesting and pretty low-key horror movie based on a real life haunting.

"Vive la France" ****, a farce of stereotypes, misunderstanding, terrorism and the difficulty of finding France. Very funny.

Lyhärit:

"Alexis" **, a short film with a fine concept, but no new ideas.

"Alien Repair Guy" ****+, a really funny short. I really liked the atmosphere, the wardrobe, the props and the visuals.

"Defeated" ****, a student short looking dated in a good way and it's only flaw was really that it was too long.

"Mystery (aka. Misterio)" ***+, a nice short film from the director of "El ataque de los robots de nebulosa-5" (aka. Attack of the Robots from Nebula-5). Not as good as ataque, but pretty nice. I was left wondering what the sewing ladies were listening to. Beats for factories?

"Out There", ***-, lots of confused running around in this horror short. Nice soundtrack, available on iTunes.

"Pilate 53" **-, a boring and not funny comedic short with a good casting (and pro actors) that showed promise in the beginning but then floundered about.
  • Juan de Los Muertos

Kuubalainen zombie-kauhu-komedia. Hallituksen TV-kanava kutsuu katkeraan loppuunsa saakka zombeja USA:n ja kapitalistien rahoittamiksi dissidenteiksi, lisäksi leffassa SEKÄ hitaita zombeja (tortugas) ETTÄ nopeita zombeja (liebres), jopa päähenkilö itse ihmettelee ääneen, että miksi ihmeessä.

Leffassa tissit ja räjähdys, eli *****

Trailer oficial de Juan de los Muertos

• on 1382371953:

Juan de Los Muertos

Kuubalainen zombie-kauhu-komedia. Hallituksen TV-kanava kutsuu katkeraan loppuunsa saakka zombeja USA:n ja kapitalistien rahoittamiksi dissidenteiksi, lisäksi leffassa SEKÄ hitaita zombeja (tortugas) ETTÄ nopeita zombeja (liebres), jopa päähenkilö itse ihmettelee ääneen, että miksi ihmeessä.

Leffassa tissit ja räjähdys, eli *****

Huippuleffa! Kubban parhaat (anti-)sankarit osoittavat kykenevänsä saamaan tilanteen aina vain pahemmaksi. Sopivasti verenroiskutusta, muttei varsinaisesti liikaa splatteriä (ja sisälmyksiä). ****
  • Helsinki Cine Aasia 2013:

Today's dose of "saywhatness" was provided by the Korean films "Self-Referential Traverse: Zeitgeist and Engagement" **+ and "Anti Gas Skin" ***+
  • DocPoint 2013:

"Marina Abramović: The Artist Is Present" *****,  suosittelen lämpimästi.

"Work Hard – Play Hard" ****, tätä voi myös suositella. Hetkittäin kylmäävä, hetkittäin hauska, koko ajan WTF.
  • "Kuningas Stachus metsästää" ***+, goottilainen neuvostokauhuleffa johon pohjautuvan pelin vedin joskus leirillä. Mukana pakollinen valistuspuhe modernin neuvostoihmisen noususta keskiaikaisen taikauskon yläpuolelle.

• on 1382372719:

(anti-)sankarit

Harvemmin muuten kapitalistisen maailman leffoissa on näin edesvastuuttomia hälläväliä sankareita. Jos vastaan tulee zombie jolla on mageet aurinkolasit, niin pöllitään ne siltä ja jatketaan matkaa (mitä sitä turhaan tappamaan, kun siitä tappamisesta ei kerta kukaan mitään maksa, jääköön pyörimään kaduille ilman aurinkolasejaan muiden riesaksi) ja sitten taas kun joudutaan tositoimiin, niin aika sama meneekö siellä zombieiden mukana muutama eläväkin tyyppi, etenkin jos tyyppi sattuu olemaan rollaattorivanhus, jonka rollaattoriin saa kätevästi lastattua rommilaatikot.

(ja siis ei tietenkään mikään vahinko tuo hahmojen edesvastuuttomuus, vaan onhan leffassa aika kärkevää rivien välistä kommentointia Kuuban meininkiä kohtaan monellakin eri tasolla)