EP104 The Price of Freedom (Tomorrow We Die)
CASE A102D/3026 PLANETFALL (04MAR3025 UPDATE)
Area of Interest
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||12° C (Semi-Arctic)|
|Highest native life||Insect|
|HPG (Representative)||B (Precentor Linnard Leung)|
WOLOF III, third and the only populated planet in the Wolof-system. The Wolof system was terraformed and settled during the Terran Hegemony era, and was an important mining colony during the late Hegemony period. The terraforming efforts were only partially successful, and after 2800s the environment has slowly been returning to original state. During the last 50 years two major population centers have been abandoned due to catastrophic snowstorms that have caused an ice build-up of several meters over those centers.
WOLOF III is a cold planet, with a narrow band of land suitable for farming surrounding the equator. The planet consists of four major continents of which only two, KELSEYLAND and ALEXANDRIA, have populated areas. The continent of DRAKENSBERG had a significant population, but the permanent snow and ice forced the population to abandon the continent. The fourth continent, NEUPARADYS, is the planets northernmost continent. The whole continent is covered by ice that averages 2.4 km in thickness, and the ocean surrounding the continent, the BAHARI NYEUPE, has a permanent ice cover reaching 300-1000 km from the continent.
Most of the population is centered in two regions, Kelseyland and Alexandria. Kelseyland is the economical center of the planet, holding 90% of the planet’s mining and refining industry, and almost 70% of the population. Kelseyland has four megacities, each having a population of approximately 50 to 75 million. Alexandria is the agricultural center of the planet, producing over 80% of food consumed in the planet. Population in Alexandria forms a chain of small towns and cities, with only one city reaching over million residents.
The arctic planet WOLOF III is facing an imminent crisis. A supervolcano in Alexandria is predicted to erupt during the next 12 to 36 months, and the consequences for such an event would be catastrophic for the planet. The supervolcano is located in the middle of the Alexandria North Valley Region, the most fertile agricultural region on the planet, and the eruption would directly destroy 40-50% of the planet’s food production. The predicted nuclear winter would devastate most of the remaining crop centers, leaving only the dome-based greenhouses (estimated as 6-8% of the food production on the planet) as a reliable source of food.
|X:Y Coordinates||-298.84, -156.64|
|Recharge time||180 hours|
A planet-scale evacuation named OPERATION VOORTREKKER has been set in motion. The WOLOF GRAND COUNCIL (“LOCGOV”, local government) has transferred the military and the law enforcement authority to the WOLOF EMERGENCY TRANSITIONAL AUTHORITY (“WETA”), which is coordinating the evacuation efforts. FREE WORLD LEAGUE PARLIAMENT has issued an emergency order (no. 2322B/3022) which gives both funding and transport capabilities for the evacuation. COMSTAR has also directed some transport capabilities for the effort, and the ComStar Precentor Bruxelles (ComStar High Commissioner for Victims of War and Refugees) is also acting as an intermediary between the Wolof local government and the various other FWL local governments that are taking in the refugees. Several other actors are also contributing to the effort.
Kelseyland Capital Region
- Jacaranda City, Capital of the United Federation, a megacity of with a population of 62 million
- Galway, City, population 3 million
- Eindhoven, City, population 1 million
- Bielefeld, City, population 500 000
- Eindepad, Settlement Network, population 7 million
Kelseyland Highland Region
- Durban, megacity, population 52 million
- Kimberley, City, population 3 million
- Langbrug, Settlement Network, population 2,5 million
Kelseyland South Region
- Lusaka (M), Megacity, population of 75 million
Kelseyland East Region
- Trekkerhawe, Megacity, population of 57 million
- Juba, City, population 150 000
- Gaborone, City, population 200 000
Alexandria Broodland Region
- Koringland, City, population 500 000
- Broodmandjie, Settlement Network, population 300 000
- Horing Volop, Settlement Network, population 2,5 million
Alexandria North Valley Region
- Taranto, Settlement Network, population 1,1 million
- Lesotho, Settlement Network, population 400 000
Regional Goverment Structure
|Name||The United Federation of Wolof|
|Capital city||Jacaranda City|
|National Symbol||Red cross on blue square|
|Ruler||President Lenalee Kenderson|
|Official Languages||Afrikaans, English|
Streekraad - A regional council is the elected assembly of a region of Wolof III. A region is divided into communities with a maximum population of 5000. These communities are managed by an elected local committee. Each committee sends a representative to the administering regional council. For example: the Highland Streekraad (Regional Council) has 14250 council members.
Hoekamer - the High Chamber is the executive part of the regional council. High Chamber members are elected by the council, and there are usually 60-90 members in the High Chamber.
Regional Council Chairman – The head of the regional council is elected by the council members. The Chairman is also the head of the Hoekamer.
Regional Council Member – Representatives from the community committees make up the body of a regional council.
Regional Chancellor – A federal state official appointed by the federal government to oversee and direct the working of a regional council. Regional chancellor reports to High Chancellor in the federal Administrative Branch.
Regional Commissioner – the highest-ranking officer of the regional police force, usually an experienced police officer, though as they are politically appointed they may or may not actually be a professional police officer. Regional Commissioner is appointed by the regional council, and he reports to the regional council and to the High Commissioner in the federal Judicial Branch.
Regional Marshal – the highest-ranking officer of the regional security forces. The marshal is appointed by the regional council and the appointee has to be a current or former member of federal armed forces, regional armed forces or regional security forces. The appointment must also be approved by the director of the federal Defence Branch. Regional Marshal reports to the regional council and to the Field Marshal in the federal Defence Branch.
Regional Deputy – deputies are appointed by the regional commissioner (or in some cases by the regional marshal) to oversee an operation or command a task force for a limited duration. Deputies report to the regional commissioner and the regional chancellor.
Wolof III has had a steadfast Anti-Marik movement since the early 2920s. For the most of its history the movement had been purely political movement, but some violent activism came up during the Anton's Revolt in 3014-3015. The movement changed its course back to "generic anti-Marik politics" when the aftermath of the civil war briefly touched Wolof III in 3015.
Lately some of the political activists with known connections to the Anti-Marik movement have been cooperating with the members of the White Future.
Alexandrist Separatist Movement
The Alexandrist Separatist Movement (ASM) is a political coalition aiming for independence or at least right for self-governing for the Alexandria regions. During the last five years the ASM has been more active and vocal, mustering more support in day-to-day politics than ever before. Some representatives have faced allegations for cooperating with the White Movement, but so far no tangible evidence has been presented.
Operation Voortrekker is a planet-scale evacuation operation with the goal of evacuation at least 100 million persons to planets within 30 light years. The scale of the operation is unheard of since the Star League era, and it the operation has gained fame all through the Inner Sphere.
The Free Worlds League parliament has issued an emergency order (no. 2322B/3022) which gives both funding and transport capabilities for the evacuation. Comstar has also directed some transport capabilities for the effort, and the ComStar Precentor Bruxelles (ComStar High Commissioner for Victims of War and Refugees) is also acting as an intermediary between the Wolof local government and the various other FWL local governments that are taking in the refugees. Several other actors are also contributing to the effort.
Public Safety and Security
Kimberley Rhodium Cache
In 3018 Wolof Criminal Police seized 220 tons of rhodium and over 35 million yuans from a warehouse that belongs to a Columbacier Corp subsidiary. Since then the legality of the seizure, and the ownership of the mineral and the currency have been fought over in courts.
The current estimate of the value of the rhodium cache is about 5,5 billion eagles (M-Bills) (Andurien Mineral Market values P999 rhodium at 25 000 eagles per kilogram in 3025). There has been several attempts to break in to the warehouse where the cache is stored, and since 3022 the warehouse has been under constant guard by the local armed forces.
Plasmodium fever is a channelfly-borne infectious disease caused by the asoplasmoidic virus. Thera are five different subtypes of asoplasmoidic virus, of which three types affect humans. Plasmodium fever can also be transmitted by contact with blood, semen, and vaginal fluids of an infected person.
Plasmodium fever causes symptoms that typically include fever, muscle and joint pain, severe headache, tiredness and vomiting. These symptoms typically begin seven to twelve days after exposure to the virus and most last from one to two weeks. In severe cases it can cause cerebral edema, seizures, coma, or death.
Antiplasmoidics are vaccines that protect against infection by asoplasmoidic viruses. New versions of the vaccines are developed several times per year, as most of the virus subtypes rapidly change. While their effectiveness varies from year to year, most provide modest to high protection against the virus, or at least they limit the infection to its less severe form. The cheapest vaccines usually have some severe side effects - lethargy, depression and impairment of inhibitory control being common - but the more advanced treatments lack these side effects. There is also very expensive gene therapy treatments available that offer basicly a permanent immunity against the disease.
The White Movement is a militant separatist organization. It has a political wing, the White Future, and a military wing, the White Brigade. It has been the de facto governing authority of the Drakensberg since 2972. The White Movement was founded in 2956, when disillusioned soldiers returned from the lackluster FWLM operation KILLING STROKE.
The military wing of the White Movement has launched attacks against federal law enforcement and military units, often describing them as retaliatory, in particular for assassinations of the upper echelon of their leadership. Tactics have included bombings, commando strikes and artillery rocket attacks. The attacks have resulted in a number of civilian casualties, and they have been condemned as war crimes and crimes against humanity.
The White Movement aims to liberate Wolof from the "occupation by the criminal federalites" by attacking the structure and officials of the federation.
The OPFOR will be units of the local militia and law enforcement that have gone rogue, local terrorist actors, and possible pirate forces that are trying to “gather salvage”. OPFOR efficiency is very low to low.
Each ship that arrives to assist in evacuation is carrying a cargo of medicine, foodstuff and survival tools and utensils to be stockpiled for later use. These valuables may also draw in criminal elements that want to take advantage of the situation.
- WHITE BRIGADE is a 'terrorist' organization found by former members of Wolof military and paramilitary troops. Mechanized troops and anti-mech capabilities.
- TRUE FAITH is a religious terrorist organization. A more classical terrorist organization. Main method of attack is arson and IEDs.
- GOODWILL LEAGUE is an organized crime syndicate with influence and activity in most cities on Wolof III.
- ANDERSON CREW is a pirate/non-registered mercenary unit with more than two lances of BattleMechs.
- The WOLOF PROTECTOR BRANCH has one BattleMech company, the FORCE VALIANT, and several conventional brigades. The Protector Branch is the federal “rapid response military force”, and has only limited support on its own. The combat units of the Protector Corps rely on the sustainment and support provided by the military forces of the regional governments.
- The KELSEYLAND STREEKWAG (KSWAG, “regional guard”) is the armed force of the Kelseyland Region. The guard is divided into four AANVALGROEPs (“attack groups”), each having two to four brigades. The KSWAG is under the authority of the Regional Secretary of Defence.
- TASK FORCE ROOFVOEL / KSWAG is a unit tasked for 'security operations' in the area surrounding the Kimberley City. It operates with unarmoured rotary aircraft and light armoured vehicles. The unit has a reputation for low competence, poor equipment, and frequent confrontations with the local KSMAG troops. The unit operates from Lowegore Air Base.
- The KELSEYLAND SEKURITEITMAGTE (KSMAG, “security forces”) is the regional gendarmerie set to provide police services outside of urban areas (the “witland”, whiteland). The SEKURITEITMAGTE is a centrally controlled paramilitary police force that is uniformed, ranked and trained in military fashion. Members of the force have policing powers that can be exercised at any time and in any part of the Region, and they are always permitted to carry their assigned weapon as personal equipment. While separate from the KELSEYLAND STREEKSWAG, the KSMAG also comes under the authority of the Regional Secretary of Defence.
- The KELSEYLAND POLISIEDIENS (KELPO) is the regional police force of the Kelseyland Region. It has the jurisdiction in the urban areas (the “goudstede”, gold cities) of the region. The Kelseyland police service has a responsibility to prevent and investigate crime, maintain public order, and uphold and enforce the law. KELPO is under the authority of the Regional Secretary of Internal Affairs.
- The WOLOF CRÌMINAL POLICE (CRIPOL) is the federal law enforcement and intelligence agency. Its mission is to detect, prevent and prosecute crimes against the Wolof Republic. CRIPOLs tasks are to counter and investigate organized and serious financial crimes, as well as terrorism related crimes and other serious crimes. CRIPOL also provides training and expert services to other law enforcement agencies.
Other notable actors
- The COLOMBACIER CORPORATION. C-COPR is one of the three largest corporations in Wolof III. It owns hundreds of subsidiaries, affiliates and brands in Wolof. The corporation is preparing to move the main refinery technology offworld, and is also investigating the possibility of transporting the terraforming facilities to other locations.
- The ROUGVIEX PLANETARY INDUSTRIES is the second largest company in Wolof III. RO-EX, as it is often referred as, is a construction, engineering, procurement, and project management company. RO-EX is part of the interstellar ANDURIEN INDUSTRIES CORPORATION.
- REKKER & RIELE is a holding company and the largest corporate group in Wolof III. R&R wholly owns 16 different food manufacturing or processing companies, and hold minority shares in more than 50 food and service industry related companies.
- TERRANOVA FOUNDATION is a religious order that maintains the terraforming facility of WELIGEBERG located in the Kelseyland Highland Region.
- The RICARDO’S RIFLEMEN is a mercenary command employed by the COLOMBACIER CORPORATION. Ricardo’s Riflemen promotes itself as a “rapid deployment strike force”, with capabilities for rapid insertion and orbital drops for both of the units BattleMech companies.
- Multiple corporations have mechanized security forces of various sizes, but no known BattleMech assets.
- Haron Lagarde, COMSTAR Precentor Bruxelles (ComStar High Commissioner for Victims of War and Refugees)
- Kathrin Friedmann, the leader of the FWL Parliament detachment assigned to coordinate evacuation and relief operations on Wolof III.
- Sarinah Bullens, the current Chairman of the Highland Council
- Vin Berghorst, the current Regional Chancellor for the Kelseyland Highland Region
- Jon Vallammer, the current Regional Commissioner of the Highland Council
- Alem Semere, the current Regional Marshal of the Highland Council
- Fabienne van der Poel, Deputy Commissioner, Kimberley distrik, Kelseyland Polisiediens
- Major Vitor Calvalho, Commander of the 1st Support Battalion, Wolof Protector Branch (Wingburn Army Base)
- Colonel Jilly Kriek, Commander of the 3rd Strike Squadron, KSWAG (Lowegore Air Base)
- Colonel Selassie Yohannes, Deputy Marshal, Task Force Roofvoel, KSWAG (Lowegore Air Base)
- Brigadier Andrew van de Vooren, Commander of the WETA Highland Command
- Colonel Patrick De Little, Deputy Commander of the WETA Highland Command
- Colonel Abellona Noor-Steffensen, Leader of the Coalition Alignment Team N2(CAT), Liaison Officer (operations), WETA Central Command
- Major Alex Fairworth, Liaison Officer (operations), WETA Central Command
- Warrant Captain Helmich van Luijn, Liaison Officer (legal), WETA Central Command
- Captain Leoni Dammers, Liaison Officer (support), WETA Highland Command
- Director Amanda Scalia, Director of Operations, Kimberly Port Authority
- Director Kawil Altermann, Director of Support Operations, Kimberly Port Authority
- Director Spencer Koormore, Director of Emergency Services, Kimberly Port Authority
The WETA is hiring mercenary forces to protect the KIMBERLY SPACE PORT and the evacuation centers located in the space port control zone. The hired force can operate outside the control zone with the permission of the WETA HIGHLAND district command.
The hired mercenary force will have a warrant to act as an official government agency and the force commander will be issued a temporary status of a council deputy.
Ground Defense [Garrison Duty]
- protect the space port and the evacuation centers, prepare for other mission types as part of WETA security operations
Rapid Deployment Readiness, Special Task Units [Objective Raid]
- strike operations related to the defense of the space port
- coordinate and control special weapons and tactics units
Port Authority Resources Protection, Control Zone Patrol and Entry Control [Security Duty]
- coordinate and control the perimeter defense and surveillance units tasked with zone security (SBH, sonebeheereenheid)
- includes access control to the zone, and control of the restricted movement in the control zone
- does not include installation security (each operating unit/agency is responsible for its installations)
Protest/Riot Control [Riot Duty]
- coordinate and control the riot control operations on the control zone
Criminal Investigation [Security Duty]
- coordinate with the WETA criminal investigation elements
- responsible for regional level criminal investigations inside the unit
Detention [Security Duty]
- control and manage the necessary detention installations and procedures in the control zone
KIMBERLY SPACE PORT
Kimberly Space Port is located next to the city of Kimberley (note the difference in the names). The control zone of the space port starts right at the southern edge of the the city, giving a safety distance of 10 km from the city to the closest dropship landing areas. Landing areas are located in the center parts and southern parts of the control zone.
Passenger and cargo terminals are located several kilometres inside the control zone. There are several aircraft runways that serve the regional traffic between the terminal areas. Port Authority facilities with Flight control and other necessary technical services are distributed in seven different locations deep within the control zone. The main administrative center is the Port Authority Center.
The Guard LOWEGORE AIR BASE is located south of the main dropship landing areas, and has its own dropship landing area and several conventional runways. The federal WINGBURN ARMY BASE is located in the eastern part of the control zone.
ComStar Station, the ComStar main facility on Wolof III is located on the northern border of the control zone so that it can be accessed without entering the control zone.
WETA is offering full support for non-operational transportation and health service, accommodation and catering.
- accomodation, catering and support infrastructure is located in P4 zone
- health service is available from the Lowegore Air Base medical station
- transportation services has two levels:
- transportation service from Port Authority and Lowegore Air Base, to be used for all transportation needs within the control zone
- rental service from commercial supplier, for other needs
WETA offers full salvage rights, and is open on negotiations for selling military supplies from its current stockpile.
The contract is high-pay, low-intensity assignment in which the experience on counter-insurgency operations is highly valued.
The contract offers a limited range of mission types in cooperation with different government services, and full salvage rights. It also provides a diverse range of contacts.