Dalcour (Tomorrow We Die)
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||48° C (Tropical)|
|Highest native life||Reptile|
|HPG (Representative)||B (Precentor Olympia Weir)|
|Recharge time||125 hours|
- 1 History
- 1.1 First settlers
- 1.2 Age of War
- 1.3 Star League and the Reunification War
- 1.4 Star League Science Institute
- 1.5 The Fall and First Succession War
- 1.6 Second Succession War and the Great Cataclysm
- 1.7 The United Dalcour
- 1.8 Third Succession War
- 1.9 Anton's Revolt
- 1.10 Fallout in Dalcour
- 1.11 Almost an election
- 1.12 Medkeamanan bombing
- 1.13 The stabile instability
- 1.14 Tamarind reactions
- 1.15 The Concord of Kapteyn
- 2 The Federal Republic of Dalcour
- 3 Provinces of the Republic
- 4 Independent states
Dalcour was settled in 2181 by two corporations; the Starquarry Industries and the Kolby Corporation. The two corporations had a joint charter from the Terran Alliance which allowed them to settle and mine the Dalcour system for 100 years.
In 2219 the Terran Alliance forces landed on Dalcour and took control of the planet, claiming that the two corporations had abused the charter by also mining Lattimer, the other habitable planet in the system. The Alliance took over the holdings of the Starquarry Industries, and sold them to the Kolby Corporation, which was allowed to continue mining and refining industry on Lattimer. Dalcour was never a target of the Terran Alliance colonization program, but it greatly benefited from a number of corporate colonization initiatives, even during the years when the Terran Alliance was in control.
When the Outer Reaches Rebellion broke out in 2236, people of Dalcour took arms and joined the rebellion. The undermanned Terran Alliance force in Dalcour saw little reason to fight over the planet, and withdrew from the system. For Dalcour, the rebellion was nearly bloodless, and the planet declared independence in 2238 as the four districts of Dalcour united under the name of Dalcour Alliance.
Several alliances were formed in Dalcour, but none of the pacts lasted more than a few years. The fragmented political landscape changed in 2371 when the Sultanate of Jawaruang was founded by Malikah Wulandari Rabij. The founding of the Sultanate and it's success in rapid conquests forced the remaining factions to seek strength from alliances, and the Cayerlon-Rossello Union was founded in 2376, and the Kedghistan Commonwealth in 2381.
Age of War
During the 25th century most of Dalcour was saved from the horrors of war. A few small conflicts were started during the second half of the century, when the three major powers conquered the the few remaining small factions - most of the small factions had already succumbed by trade and political manoeuvring.
The Age of War and the rise of Free Worlds League gave the Dalcourian powers something new to worry about - invaders from the outside. The Sultanate of Jawaruang and the Cayerlon-Rossello Union began negotiations in fear of a foreign power invading the planet. The negotiations began in 2501, and were halted when the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces invaded in October 21st, 2513. The fragmented Dalcour was an easy target for the experienced Lyran troops, and the last major battle was fought in January 2514. The invasion turned into a five-year long occupation.
In June 2nd, 2519, four regiments from the Duchy of Tamarind made planetfall near the capital of the Sultanate. A series of bloody battles were fought in the capital region of the Sultanate, which was reduced to ruins. After four months of fighting the Tamarind Defence Forces made the decision to withdraw from the planet, but they didn't withdraw from the system - instead a planetary blockade was installed.
The losses suffered by the Lyran forces inspired the Dalcourians to fight back. With the blockade in place, the Lyrans were dependant on the supplies they could get from the locals (with either money or force), and when the local resistance started to strike against Lyran supply stores and engaged in a bloody terrorist campaign, the Lyran forces had enough. Commander of the Lyran occupation force negotiated cease-fire with the blockading Tamarind forces, and the after paying large ransom to the Tamarind Defence Forces the Lyrans were allowed to leave the planet in 2522.
The Duchy of Tamarind sent a group of relief workers help the victims of war and to assist in rebuilding the ruined cities, but the Dalcourians were not happy to see the Tamarind relief workers. In the eyes of the Dalcourians the Tamarind troops had forced the Lyrans to lay waste to urban areas, the Tamarind troops hadn't demanded a surrender from the Lyrans, and finally the ransom paid by the Lyrans was money and resources stolen from the Dalcourians. After a number of bloody incidents, the Duchy of Tamarind withdrew from Dalcour in 2525.
Star League and the Reunification War
When Ian Cameron made the Pollux Proclamation in 2575, signalling his intent for the Star League to rule over all of humankind, Duchy of Tamarind - now part of the Free Worlds League - got an open mandate from the Parliament to force the unification of it's neighbouring systems. In 2579, the Tamarind forces returned to Dalcour, but instead of ending an occupation it started one.
The Tamarind force was determined not to repeat the mistakes of 2525, and the occupation was planned carefully. The man behind the plan was Colonel Erik Reinhardt, the director of military intelligence department of the Tamarind Defence Forces. The plan was not to spend years pacifying Dalcour, but to install a government that would ally itself with the Duchy of Tamarind.
The plan failed. In 2586 a resistance fighter named Neomi Reger assassinated colonel Reinhardt and several of the key members of Reinhardt's headquarters staff. Neomi Reger was praised all over Dalcour for her action - probably the first person in the history of Dalcour who had a following in every continent. Neomi was killed two years later when trying to re-do her famous act, as she failed to assassinate the new head of the occupation force Colonel Marita Messina.
Colonel Messina had a different plan, and a different method. After twelve years of heavy fighting all over Dalcour, the resistance was crushed - but so was the planet itself. Not a single city was spared in this campaign, and the amount of casualties were staggering. The occupation officially ended in 2606, when the Cayerlon-Rossello Union, the Kedghistan Commonwealth and the Sultanate of Jawaruang signed the Caudill Island Treaty, which made the three powers part of the Duchy. This time Lattimer was not spared either - the Kolby Collective was disbanded, and Duchy of Tamarind took direct control over the planet.
Star League Science Institute
In 2669 the wounds caused by the Reunification War were mostly healed, and the rebuilding effort had turned the ruined places to beautiful and modern cities. When Dalcour was chosen as a site for the Star League Science Institutes new research site, no one was surprised - the holopics and holovideos from Dalcour showed a face of a modern and civilized world. The SLSI new research center was focused on space travel, and the two-planet system of Dalcour was perfect for such center.
When the SLSI Kearny Center was formally opened in 2699, the guest list was more than impressive - several high ranking nobles and officials from all over the Free Worlds League, several respected scientists from every member state of the Star League, and also the head of state of the Duchy of Tamarind. The golden years of Dalcour had finally started.
The Fall and First Succession War
When Stefan Amaris launched a coup and started a civil war, everyone in Dalcour was certain that this war would have no effect on the planet. The fall of the Star League was a distant thing - the only casualty was the SLSI Kearny Center, which was taken over by Free Worlds League Academy of Science in 2779 when the SLSI ran out of money to operate.
The real consequences of the fall of the Star League were shown in 2785 by the start of the First Succession War. When Captain-General Kenyon Marik ordered the use of nuclear weapons in the invasion of Bolan in 2785, the Kearny Center began to study and test nuclear weapons. The governments of the Sultanate, the Commonwealth and the Union objected this, knowing that such a test center would make the planet a potential target for a new invasion - or worse. The objections did not have any effect, and soon the Kearny Center had a several research teams working on all sorts of secret weapon technologies. The Kearny Center was handed to the FWL military in 2791.
The First Succession War ended in 2821, and Dalcour had been spared from the direct effects of war. Even so, Dalcour was not without casualties - the war had devastated the economy of the region, and FWL military had recruited tens of thousands of Dalcourians to fight on the Lyran front, many of which never returned home.
Second Succession War and the Great Cataclysm
When ComStar declared a communications interdiction on Free Worlds League in 2837, the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces struck hard. In 15 June 2838 a Lyran fleet jumped in the Dalcour system, and attacked both Lattimer and Dalcour. After two weeks of fighting the Lyrans had established a space superiority, and began orbital bombardment in a prelude to landing troops to the surface.
In a desperate act the FWL troops at the Kearny Center tried to use a new prototype weapon, presumably a nuclear missile of enormous power. The weapon failed to launch, instead it detonated in the ground at 07:00 on 7th of July, 2838. The power of the explosion has been estimated to be nearly 1000 Mt - the explosion created a crater more than 5 km in diameter, and every building in 100 km radius was destroyed . The entire city of Solitude along its metropolitan area was destroyed, estimated 1,200,000 persons died in an instant. The explosion threw the Lyran forces in panic, and the Lyran fleet commander ordered the fleet to leave the system.
The FWL parliament denied that such a weapon had existed, and blamed the Lyran fleet for using nuclear weapons on a city with hardly any military troops in it. One theory is that the explosion was caused by a Lyran experimental weapon - a theory which the Lyran government naturally denied. The only known facts are that the detonation was more powerful than anything the two states had in their arsenal, and the ground zero was in the center of Solitude City.
The United Dalcour
Even with the Lyran fleet gone, the war for Dalcour was far from over. When the FWLM regular forces left the planet to pursue the Lyrans, the Kedghistan Commonwealth invaded the Sultanate of Jawaruang which had been weakened by several coup attempts and a bloody uprising in the Kalimantan Isles.
- 2839/1/4 Kedghistan invades Jawaruang
- 2839/11/30 CRU forces attack Kedghistan outposts in Coralsea
- 2840/3/5 Fighting in the Southern Coralsea escalates to a full war
- 2843/3/19 General Bechuan Bengbru declares himself the Sultan of Penegyar
- 2843/12/25 Several key members of the Kedghistan military are assassinated by highly trained special operation squads, Penegyar is implied
- 2843/12/26 CRU launches a impromptu assault towards the capital of Kedghistan, and with the Kedghistan troops suffer heavy casualties while defending the capital
- 2844/1/12 CRU forces fall back when the supply route gets too thin, but the Kedghistan capital (Kophene) is in ruins - 2844/4/21 CRU troops gain the control of the Coralsea
- 2844/10/10 Penegyar forces invade the Jawaruang capital; high number of casualties, but also entire units from the Jawaruang forces swith sides
- 2845/3/9 The Sultan of Jawaruang and all his blood relatives are executed, and the Sultanate of Penegyar assimilates the remaining parts of Jawaruang to itself
- 2846/6/17 Bloody battles between Penegyar forces and CRU forces over the control of the capital region of Kedghistan end in a stalemate
- 2846-2849 a number of battles are fought between Penegyar and CRU forces; Kedghistan has ceased to exist as a nation
- 2850 CRU goes through a reform; the Union is renamed as the Republic of Cayerlon
- 2855 the Sultanate of Penegyar and the Republic of Cayerlon discuss a treaty between the two nations
- 2857 the Lattimer Collective is invited to the talks
- 2864 The Letters of Government are signed by the representatives from Penegyar, Lattimer and Cayerlon; the Republic of Dalcour is formed
Third Succession War
The Free Worlds League entered the Third Succession War in 2869 with the invasion of the Isle of Skye. Though the invasion was successful, the Lyran counter attack was also a success. The use of troops from the Duchy of Andurien to garrison the Skye worlds, and their subsequent defeats, turned the Humphreys family against the Mariks, specifically Captain-General Marie Marik. The 3rd War was characterized by a tacit return to the Ares Conventions because technology and factories and even clean water had become too important to destroy.
- 2868 The March Movement coup d'etat attempt in Cayerlon
- 2869-2880 Years of Turbulence; several factions inside Cayerlon work towards disbandment of the Republic of Dalcour
- 2872 Uprising in Rossello nearly starts a civil war is Cayerlon
- 2873 Sultan of Penegyar suggests at creating armed forces for the Republic of Dalcour, and promises to contribute all Penegyar mech forces to this new army if other provinces agree and follow the example
- 2875 Founding year of the Armed Forces of Dalcour
- 2878 AFD troops halt an uprising in Rossello
- 2896 The Gallimonte Treaty - the provincial goverments sign a treaty which denies the use of mech and aerospace forces from the provincial governments; all existing mech troops are transferred to the AFD
- 2902 The Tamarind-Trent Agreement - Duchy of Tamarind demands that the Republic of Dalcour contributes troops for the defence of the Duchy. When the Republic refuses to comply, Duchy of Tamarind states that Dalcour forces will fight; either on Dalcour against Tamarind troops, or besides the Tamarind troops against the invading Lyran forces. After months of negotiations, the Republic agrees, and the Tamarind-Trent agreement is signed. The Agreement obliges the Republic to participate in the defence of the Duchy with two mech companies.
- 2921 The Reformation of the Republic
- 2936 The Great Island Campaign
In 2967 Provincial government of Penegyar has demanded more autonomy from the planetary government. The representatives of Penegyar have claimed that the economical situation in Penegyar is critical, and the blame is on the outrageous taxes the Province is forced to pay and the unbalanced incentives the government is giving to corporations of the other Provinces.
In 3011 rebel factions start an uprising in the northern parts of Penegyar.
A task force is founded to suppress the uprising in 3012. The use of the 'mech battalions quickly broke up the rebellion, but the war of the 3012 did not stop the rebels, it only drove them underground. The rebellion gained a lot of support from all over Penegyar, because the troops used to suppress the uprising was mainly from Cayerlon.
A wave of terrorist attacks 3013-3014.
Janos Marik became the Captain-General on 2 September 2991. At his side during his inaugural address was his brother, Anton Marik. Janos promoted Anton to the rank of general in 2991. In January 3002 he put his brother in charge of the Capellan front.
Anton became increasingly dissatisfied with his brother's tenure and on 22 May 3014 Anton declared himself Captain-General. Anton grossly overestimated his support within the Free Worlds League, however. Not only did Anton garner very little support, Janos surprisingly received military aid from the Principality of Regulus and the Sirian Concordance. Anton's most powerful support came from Liao, in the form of Wolf's Dragoons. Jaime Wolf and Anton had a disagreement about strategy in February 3015. Wolf refused Anton's orders and departed to deal with a Loyalist offensive. As the mercenary DropShip took off, Anton ordered the Dragoons' dependents executed for treason. Upon hearing of this, the Dragoons turned around and marched on New Delos. After a three-day fight, Natasha Kerensky's Black Widow Company killed Anton Marik. Six weeks later, the rebellion was over.
Fallout in Dalcour
Some members of the Assembly of Provinces of Dalcour had been funding the rebellion of Anton Marik against his brother Janos. In 3015 over twenty core members of the Assembly were arrested by Free World League's SAFE operatives for treason against the Free Worlds League. Among the arrested parliament members were four members of The Great Assembly. The Assembly was temporarily dismissed by the order of the Council of Judges, and new provincial elections were set to be held in March 3016.
The political chaos was unheard of, and a large parts of the federal government for all practical purposes ceased to function.
In January 3016 the Council of Judges withdrew the order to dismiss the Assembly. The Assembly - missing over a quarter of its members due to the criminal charges - returned to work. The very first thing the Assembly did was a temporary assignment of the free seats of the Great Assembly to the remaining members of the Great Assembly. After that the Assembly declared that the elections were cancelled, and that the next elections would be in 3019 as per the normal elections schedule, even if the Parliament was strongly undermanned. The lack of political stability in the Provinces gave the remaining Parliament (now nicknamed "the stump parliament") political credibility it needed - even if it was not deserved.
Almost an election
In June 7th 3019, two months before the set elections, a terrorist group called "the Solid Movement" hit the Centre for the Parliament with two bombs. The bombing killed 209 people (11 members of the Assembly, 67 parliament officials, 32 members of the press and 99 visitors) and injured some 250 others.
The Premium Assembly member called the bombing an "horrendous act of savagery, inhumanity and evil". The Premium stated that the federal government has heard the demands for justice from the people of the republic, and that the government will act "swiftly, accurately and with unforgettable results". The political opposition criticized the action taken by the federal government, and demanded the end of the "decades long tradition of murder and terror" by the "unstable criminals in certain provinces".
After months of investigations the Federal Marshal Service still had no progress in finding or detaining the suspects. The marshal in charge of the investigation criticized the lack of cooperation and assistance from the Penegyar's law enforcement agencies. In the late 3019 anonymous source from the Dalcour Directorate of Intelligence confirmed that the Solid Movement had deep connections to the Kedghistan Resistance Movement - a penegyarian terrorist organization gone "political" after a cease fire in the 2950s. The KRM was investigated for connections to the 3012 Pharron attacks and the 3013 Gaendana Barracks bombing, but no real evidence was found.
Three months after the document leak new information was handed over to the media houses - photos of two high ranking Dhabihu Dhabu members visiting the estate of a senior Penegyrian Assembly member Ardashir Soong. For several weeks the public demanded answers and explanation, but the Assembly did not give a statement due to "ongoing investigations". The Assembly member Soong was found dead two weeks later from his estate.
A public outcry forced the Department of Internal Security to set a multi-agency task force to investigate the bombing. The investigation was troubled because of the lack of political support and the corruption found in the penegyrian law enforcement agencies. In 3020 the commander of the multi-agency task force was killed in the Medkeamanan bombing in Baliir Kota, the capital of the Sultanate.
The Medkeamanan bombing was carried out by the Solid Movement on 11th of January, 3020. The terrorist group left three cars, each containing over 500 kg of explosives, in the Medkeamanan park where an annual military parade of the Shining Sabres was taking place. The officials estimated that the bombs killed at least 200 and wounded over 1000 people.
The Premier Assembly Member Melvin Dambrosio stated that the attack was against all of Dalcour, and on the 25th of January, 3020, the Parliament declared martial law. Great Assembly has now direct control over all federal security and military decisions.
The stabile instability
Sustained street demonstrations have taken place in many major cities of Dalcour during the last two years. Poor regions have seen violent riots, and the steady rise of the crime rate.
The Premium Assembly member has answered to the demands of new elections by stating that the federal government cannot guarantee safe and just elections at this moment, but the elections will be held as soon as possible. "We cannot allow the democratic process to wither and fade away by the actions of terrorist organizations", he said in the annual State of the Republic speech in January 3025.
The new Elected Duke of Tamarind has not reaffirmed the Letters of Government.
The Tamarind Defense Forces have drawn the only aerospace regiment that was stationed in Dalcour to boost up the defences of the Tamarind Spaceyards.
The Concord of Kapteyn
The League signed the Concord of Kapteyn on 13 October 3022, which entered the nation into an alliance with the Capellans and the Draconis Combine in response to the signing of the Federated Commonwealth Alliance Document. The League has gained a number of worlds from both the Lyrans and Capellans.
The Federal Republic of Dalcour
|Name||The Federal Republic of Dalcour|
|Founding year||2864 (As the Republic of Dalcour)|
|Capital city||Cide Unidas|
|National Symbol||Silver Owl|
|Ruler||Premier Assembly Member Melvin Dambrosio|
The Letters of Government of Dalcour
The Letters outline basic and political rights of individuals, divides the powers between the government and the provinces and defines jurisdiction and authority. By ratifying the Letters of Government, the provinces have transferred certain aspects of their sovereign power to the planetary government of Dalcour while maintaining autonomy on most aspects of the government. The Parliament of Dalcour can collect taxes on certain types, hold power over all planetary tolls and regulate interstellar commerce. The Parliament can raise and support military forces, and is obliged to provide planetary defence and can regulate the possession of weapons and military equipment in Dalcour.
There are three main governing bodies on the federal level, the Assembly of Provinces of Dalcour (legislative), the Great Assembly (executive) and the Council of Judges(judicial).
The Assembly of Provinces has 199 representatives (85 from Cayerlon, 85 from Penegyar, and 29 from Lattimer) who are elected under a system determined by each Province. All members of the Assembly from Penegyar and Lattimer serve for 4 years, but 27 seats for the Cayerlon representatives are hereditary under the Cayerlon law.
The Great Assembly is the nine-member executive group which serves as the head of state. While the entire Assembly is responsible for leading the federal administration, each assembly member heads one of the nine executive departments. The members are elected for a four-year mandate by the Assembly of Provinces, which also exercises oversight over the Council. The Premium of the Dalcour is elected by the Assembly of Provinces from among the nine members: the Premium chairs the government and assumes representative functions. Currently there are only five elected assembly members:
- The Premier Assembly Member Melvin Dambrosio is the Head of the Great Assembly and Master of the Hall, and the acting Head of the Department of Finance.
- Assembly Member Micheline Reger is the Head of the Foreign Affairs Department.
- Assembly Member Arnold Palladino is the Head of the Internal Security Department and the acting Head of the Internal Affairs Department.
- Assembly Member Florence Marchand is the Head of the Defence Department, and the acting Head of the Transport and Communications.
- Assembly Member Arturo Muriel is the Head of the Environment and Energy Department, and the acting head of the Housing Department.
Departments of the Government
Hall of the Assembly
- the staff organisation of the Great Assebly and the federal administration.
Department of Foreign Affairs
- coordinates the foreign policy, provides legal advice on foreign matters and international law, is responsible for diplomatic protocol and ceremonies, and has liaison offices for both the representatives of the Duchy of Tamarind and the Free Worlds League parliament
- Directorate of Political Affairs, Directorate of International Law, Directorate of Foreign Cooperation, Directorate of Protocol and Promotion
Department of Internal Affairs
- responsible for preservation of national heritage and the national archives, public health services above general hospital level, higher education and research coordination and social services
- Office of Culture, Office of Public Archives, Office of Public Health, Office of Education, Office of Statistics and Insurance
Department of Internal Security
- responsible for providing legal advice to the administration, coordination and analysis of internal security matters, all matters relating to foreign nationals
- Office of Justice, Office of Internal Security, Office of Migration, Office of Attorney General
Department of Defence
- coordinates defence policy, provides advice on military and civil protection for the administration, responsible for strategy development, procurement policy and arms control
- Directorate of Defence Coordination, Directorate of Intelligence, Office of Civil Protection
Department of Finance
- responsible for the budget, financial planning and policy, and the treasury, responsible for human resources management for the administration, revenue collection and for monitoring the import, export and transit of goods, collecting customs duties, traffic charges and taxes
- Office of Finance, Office of Tax Administration, Office of Customs Administration, Office of Personnel Management
Department of Housing
- responsible for agricultural policy and safety of food, coordinates area planning between the provinces, manages emergency supplies of essential goods
- Office of Agriculture, Office of Housing, Office of Emergency Planning, Office of Welfare
Department of Environment and Energy
- responsible for matters of the environment, and the provision of energy at the national level
- Office of Environment Planning, Office of Energy Coordination
Department of Transport and Communications
- responsible for the development of the national rail network for the construction, maintenance and operation of the national highway network, regulates civil aviation and radio and holoTV networks, and works as a liaison office for the ComStar representative
- Office of Communication, Office of Transport, Office of Civil Aviation
Main article: Armed Forces of Dalcour
The Government of Dalcour is obliged to contribute troops to the Tamarind Defense Forces. Two 'mech companies with a forward support battalion are rotated each year to serve in a location assigned by the Tamarind Defense Forces Command. Usually the Dalcour Task Force is assigned a garrison duty on a planet that has a low threat level (the Tamarind Defense Forces assign their regular troops to all hot spots).
Provinces of the Republic
Main article: Sultanate of Penegyar
Main article: Republic of Cayerlon
Main article: Lattimer Collective
Free City of Kerbala
Sacre Cote is not part of the FRD, but it is tied with Cayerlon with so many treaties that it cannot be considered as a truly independent state. The Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement allows citizens of Sacre Cote to serve in the Cayerlon Defence Forces. The Republic of Sacre Cote has no armed forces other than the Gendarmerie nationale. Sacre Cote is known for the enforcement of French language, which is the main reason why Sacre Cote is not officially part the Republic of Cayerlon.